Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Weixin

 Ok, when you get older you can get grumpier. It's a fact of life. Yes I would resist the urge to yell at kids to get off my lawn if I lived in a neighborhood where that was a thing. 

You are young, you can operate faster than the world does and nothing is a big deal. 

Then you get a bit older, you realize you don't know as much as you think and you start to accept some limitations. 

A bit older still and you just want a good night's sleep. 

Then one day you realize the world is moving one mph faster than you can and that's when you start to realize you're getting old and things are passing you by now. 

That's where I find myself with Weixin. It's a nightmare of an app used in China that combines the functions of several social media platforms. I can't find anything good about it.  

"For those of you who don’t know, WeChat is the most popular messaging app in China with well over 600 million users. It’s an alternative to services like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, a lot of which are actually blocked in the country. The Chinese government is doing everything it can to get rid of foreign services in an effort to control online activities and get access to as much sensitive data from local companies as possible."

I think that says enough about Weixin and why it's evil. 


WeChat accused of sharing users' personal data with Chinese authorities [update: WhatsApp now blocked in China]. Android Authority. (2017, September 28). Retrieved February 9, 2022, from https://www.androidauthority.com/wechat-sharing-personal-data-chinese-authorities-802548/


1 comment:

Just A Girl said...

Hi Thomas! I must say I look forward to your posts. You certainly tell it as you see it, and as someone who is also getting older and grumpier, I have my issues with some of these apps, too. I may have mentioned this before, but much to my dismay, my boss added TikTok to my responsibilities/job description and even added it to our KPIs. I am NOT happy about this. Adding insult to injury, I had researched the fact that people in our area in our field weren't using TikTok and gave her multiple examples, yet she added it to my job description during the two weeks I was out having surgery last fall! I know there are recipes and such available on it, but for my line of work, I just don't think our target demographic is there. On top of this, I think the app is stupid. There is so much junk on it. And I hate that I'm adding anything to the noise there. My brain just doesn't work the way it needs to in order to create what would be considered by the TikTok audience to be something that catches their attention. Add to that the fact it's created in China where they are known for surveillance on their population. Why do I want them potentially monitoring me? No thank you!

Thanks for another very well-written and fun to read post! - Beth