Monday, August 07, 2023

An Encore Career

A funny thing happened last week. A fellow gig driver that works for the school told me to apply for an opening that they just posted. It's for an art teaching job. Yeah, I know. Art, weird right? Especially considering my degrees are in marketing.

Well, then she told me it was for teaching 3D printing, which I happen to be pretty good at!

I thought, what the heck, I applied for the job around 8:30ish that night. At 11:32 that night I got an email from the principal asking me to come to the school at 10 the next morning to interview. It was the best interview I think I've had and pretty much walked out with the job even though they had another candidate to interview. 

I showed them my printing and painting work and they were impressed. I took a tour with the interview team and saw my classroom and 3D printing laboratory! I have an actual lab now! Who can say that? Now you all know I've never been a teacher as my life has been pretty mapped out over this blog. 

I'm nervous, I'm excited, I'm terrified, I'm anxious to get started. 

Yeah, I thought I was going to have a marketing job by now. Turns out Bidenomics isn't working for me. I've applied for over 300 jobs and I've had a total of 7 interviews and 2 of them were for DHS, which everyone told me I'd hate and I knew that going in.

As a gig driver, I've had a lot of fun and it's really the perfect job for enjoying my freedom from my first career. I've enjoyed the heck out of it, met a lot of great people, and helped a lot of people with their groceries that otherwise might not have been able to easily get them or at all. The gig has kept me the peace I was really needing and it's hard to explain past that alone unless you lived it. 

Well, gas has gone up a LOT, groceries have gone up a LOT, and our gig pay has decreased at the same time. It was harder and harder for me to make ends meet comfortably. With me not driving 7 days a week my driver friends won't be competing as much for orders. There will be at least 5 extra orders per day that I'm not taking that they can have now. It'll make their days a bit easier and they can earn a bit more.

I didn't write about this until today because it became official just a little bit ago. I've finished most of my paperwork and need to sign things in the morning.

I'm going to be a high school teacher. 

No comments: