Sunday, June 26, 2005

Indie Film Conference Today....Sort Of

Well it had promise anyway.

There was a conference in a nearby city that three of us attended. I can say that I enjoyed the makeup guy they had and the actor they had who is a regular in CSI: Miami.

Everyone else seemed to either be in over their heads or were trailing my knowledge. The distribution guy was thrilled that he had gone to Tower Records and they had agreed to put a project on their shelves even though there really isn't a finished product yet....and so the day went.

I was happy about lunch though which was good. I had a honey BBQ'd sirloin steak with grilled peppers and mushrooms...with a side of fries and a desert.

The other highlight was seeing Land of the Dead. It also had promise but I found myself wondering why in this futuristic society with the DEAD ACTUALLY ROAMING THE STREETS that having a lot of money was a big deal?!?! I did like the idea of someone rebuilding a secure society inside a building and trying to make believe that everything was everything again. I found the concept very good in that weird ironic/sarcastic way.

I just wish that someone would decide to make a scary movie again instead of relying on gore effects as a crutch to make up for a weak story or to gloss over plot holes so big you could drive the Dead Reckoning though.

Here is the basic premise of nearly every scary movie I've attended lately....come up with promising plot. Spend too much on effects while forgetting to add any tension to get the audience involved and when you remember that the audience might be bored...WHAM! You throw some fake blood in their direction or have a cat jumping out of the closet scare...then tack on some stupid ending like in Hide and Seek.

Now for Locker news. I have contacted a local production company to finish it with me. To add the credits and get it into a format I can duplicate. They were going to have a meeting this past week and contact me when they could schedule me in...they have yet to contact me. So I'll attempt to call them next week and see if they want to work with me. If not it is onto yet another plan B.

Yes and I am writing a new project which will either be very innovative or fail so big that it might turn some heads! More on that in the coming months!

No comments: