Sunday, June 19, 2005

Irrational Fears

I probably have one of the most irrational fears of all time. At first it may not seem like it but after I explain my weird logic I think you might be able to understand a bit more.

My irrational fear is that after I die my body won't be discovered for a long time. Why is it irrational? Naturally because after you die, what do you care anymore? It's over and time to see what is next, on to bigger and better things!

Well here is my logic on the matter. I am more afraid of what it implies has happened to me before death. Think about it for a second, my irrational fear is that my body won't be discovered meaning that:
1. I have outlived everyone that cares about me or I care about. (I dread this one the second most)
2. Have ticked off all of the people I did know and care about to the point where they have left me.
3. Fade away and become so emotionally disconnected that everyone forgets I even existed. (I dread this one the most)

What does this exactly mean?

Does it mean that if you don't have someone around you that you don't exist?

Does it represent that no one is an island and everyone somewhere, somehow has a connection to someone, somehow?

That your actions now matter how small or mundane has a action or reaction that creates a connection to others?

So if any of those questions are affirmative in the least degree then to what point is everyone connected but not realize the effect they have on others? If someone disconnects themselves is that an act of self centeredness knowing they might play a role in helping someone else? Do you have a responsibility to your fellow human being?

Dying alone is something everyone faces no matter how many people are surrounding you and no matter how much they care about you. Being discovered afterwards or not is what really defines the kind of life you have lead.