Thursday, January 06, 2005

Saga of the 'Burban

Well a select few of you know that in the past three weeks I have had some mechanical problems with my 1985 Chevy Suburban. Well now that it was in the negative numbers temp wise it didn't want to start this morning even though I had the water heater plugged in to keep it warm.

So I'm home today and when the sun came out it started just fine with a shot of ether. Diesels will run forever but when it gets cold they just don't want to start. I will now take this time to detail the past couple of weeks in regards to my truck!

It all started the week of Christmas on Tuesday to be exact. I went out like normal to start it up and let it warm up and noticed it cranked very slow which to me is an indication that the alternator is bad (again) and it hasn't been charging the batteries. So the next two days I put three alternators on it. O'Reilly's is getting upset with me (I bought the lifetime warranty) so when I get a bad alternator or it stops working I take it back and get a new one.

Life throws a curve ball, I swing and miss!!!

Well after putting three on in two days they really didn't want to give me another one but they did anyway and suggested there was another problem and to take it to a mechanic. Well I know that it is a self contained charging system and that the alternator could really be the only problem if it isn't charging. But I needed a few minor things done anyway so since I was off because it still didn't want to charge (after alternator number three!!!) I took it to a mechanic and had them fix some fluid leaks and put front brakes on it.

Life is looking up!!!

I get it back early the next week, Thursday I believe is when I picked it up. They tell me that it is working fine but from the volt meter on the dash it is charging around 12 volts instead of 13.5 which is normal and what I'm comfortable with. But I chalk it up to the way the alternator is made and since it is a rebuilt one the volt meter on the dash might not be as accurate and undependable. Well I have a friend in a town about 100 miles from here and we decided I would come down and visit her so I drove down New Year's day to visit. I really didn't notice the dash meter but I probably should have....

Life is about ready to do some serious kicking!!!

The next day, yep, you guessed it!!!! The batteries were dead! So I ask my friend to help me by taking me to the local O'Reilly's so that I can get some jumper cables and I decide to just pick up another alternator.....well at this point because I COULD AND WAS FRUSTRATED!!!!! So I get one and replace it in about 8 minutes (I'm very fast at replacing them now) and hook up the jumper cables to her car and we get it started. I'm happy and not as frustrated now...

Life is looking up again!

I get on the interstate and run into a complete downpour!!! Look down to turn on my lights since it is very difficult to see, going 70 in a very bad rain storm and all....and see that the dash meter is around 12 again!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Life fools me and kicks me in the testicles!!!!!

So I gun the motor to see if it effects the charging and it does...a little. So I get to a town along the way that happens to have an O'Reilly's and have them put the charger on it. It is charging but barely, the manager (Who was great and extremely helpful since it was very very cold out at that point) notices my alternator belt might be a bit too warn since it didn't look tight while running. He goes in to the store and gets a pry bar and we tighten up the alternator and then puts the meter back on it and 13.5 volts!!!!!!

Life is good!!!!

I turn off the engine and buy a new belt and get it on there in about 5 minutes, tighten up the alternator and YES!!!! 13.5 and charging!!! The batteries are good but needed charging!!!!

Life is still good!!!!

So now I have a reliable vehicle again!!!!!!

Life is indeed good;)

No comments: