Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A Baby Bird In The Pool Is As Good As...

Well not exactly the old saying but it did happen! For those of you who don't know, I have an inground pool in my back yard that has been empty (or nearly empty) for about three seasons.

Occasionally I have to help out a small animal who has jumped or fallen into mostly dry pool out. Last time it was a possum who had fallen in and couldn't get out. So I stepped down into the pool which only had a few inches of watery mud in the deep end but the dry, shallow end had a hissing and very upset creature in it....WITH ME!!!

So how do I get this possum three feet up and onto the ground? I put a long board that he can crawl up and prodded him along it so he was able to crawl out! Well other than a stray kitten who gets in there every once in a while it is no big deal but today I found a bird! Yeah...a bird who got caught up in the rain I guess and couldn't fly.

So I get down into the pool and get a skimmer net....well the bird takes off into the watery end....Sheesh.

I head him off with the net and coax him back to the end I'm on so that I can help him out. (I assume it is a "him" since he was stupid enough to get lost...in a pool...with a big open top) So I heard him back with the net and scoot the net under him and he hops up onto the net! So now the mission is 99% done! I'm happy! I help the onto dry land! Mission Accomplished! Well the bird sits there on the ground now...well there are a lot of stray cats around my neighborhood so the bird is now a sitting duck. So I prod him over under a tree near my fence and then all of a sudden I start to get dive bombed by the bird's family I guess?!?!?!

Well they apparently didn't see my gesture to the animal kingdom as helpful as I thought it was. So now that the bird is semi safe under the tree I leave to the delight of this bird's fine feathered friends.

Bunch of ingrateful birds....

No comments: