Sunday, October 03, 2021

Last Week of Work

 I just put in my last load of work clothes in the washer. Been wearing uniforms at work for 30 years and my new uniform will be whatever I want to wear. The past week has been filled with a lot of people telling me how lucky I am. How they'd change places with me if they could. 

I don't feel lucky right this moment but I know I will in a year from now. I've got to work through creating a new routine as I've mentioned lots of times. Creature of habit. 

I've been emotionally distancing myself from my work routine for the past few weeks. Changing up my routine a little bit at a time. Driving to work or from work a bit differently each day. Making things feel different, a little bit here and there. There will be some where I work that'll be happy I am gone, others will miss me. Nothing unusual about that, it's like that every place where you work. You'll get along with some, others you won't.

The difference is that October 13th I won't have to deal with that anymore. It brings a certain amount of stress with the job and it'll be over with. All of the union issues that come with the job, the dramas that play out between management and the workers will be a distant memory for me. I do plan on staying on as a retiree union member. It's important for the future of the union and my friends that work there. 

I've got to clean out my locker this week, sort through whatever is there. Throw everything else away. 

No comments: