Saturday, April 30, 2005

Free Poker And Filmmaking....

Hello all:)

Well it has happened...there is a free poker league in this state now. Yes it is a good thing but it is also a bad thing.

Allow me to expand upon that.

The tournaments take place at local establishments such as a sports bar, a banquet room, etc. The chips are nearly worthless, you get a $100 chip for a coke, a $1000 chip for a meal. Why is that a bad thing? Well it means that when no one has anything invested people can't be pushed out of hands and the bluff is worthless. Bluffing is a big part of any poker game and it forces you to either play with a premium hand such as a high pocket pair or to get a great flop and pair up or hit a set.

It is great practice IF you play as you normally would in a real poker game. If you get in the moment and get bored and play every hand like your chips were free...then you will lose very very quickly in a real game.

I have not finished better than 4th in a game with 9 people in it. I play a tight solid game where I fold 98% of my hands. I will probably never be a chip leader at a table however I will be there at the end of a marathon game. That style just does not work in a game like this. People are in hands with a 82 off suit and Q3 off. I'm not joking, they are bluffing with hands where the bluff is useless because at least 3-4 people are going to stay in the hand!!!

I am enjoying this however. Despite its main drawback it is good practice provided you don't make a bad habit of staying on throwaway hands.

On the filmmaking front I'm going to a read through at 2pm today for the next project.

No comments: