Friday, June 15, 2012

20 Years

Today in 1992 I was hired at the place where I currently work. Since that time I've gone through two full rounds of BRAC, three presidents, massive world changes, two domestic terrorist attacks, nineteen super bowls, the Bulls legendary seasons with MJ, dramatic personal changes, gained new friends, lost old ones, and the best things, I've gotten married and I've now got two beautiful daughters!

If you would have told me then all of that I wouldn't have believed you. A strange thing happens as you grow older, you want more security instead of more of the unknown. You gamble less with your future and start planning for when you are too old to work. When you are twenty two you aren't capable of thinking about your future, it's hard enough planning to the end of the week, when you are forty two you realize that the word retirement is a real thing and that you are headed for it sooner than you think.

I also realize I've done this kind of work for over half my life now. It's been twenty three years and probably a few more months than that that I've done this. I can tell you it's hard on your body and who knows what kind of health ramifications I've got in my future but I try to be safe. I use my gear every day.

Good lord above has it been this long? I get my extra week of PTO now. It'll build up faster than ever and that's a great thing. It also means that I'm ten years out from being eligible for the pension. I'm vested now but being able to collect it is a great thing! It'll be the main plank in our retirement planning, I've got My Love set up as my successor and she'll enjoy the benefits for life after I'm gone so security is a big deal to me. You think more about taking care of those you love and making sure they can do well in your absence. So yeah, sometimes you think about your mortality once in a while too.

Twenty years.
Twenty years.


No comments: