Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Title Change Leading to More Changes

Today I changed the title of my blog to An Average Man's Story from A Filmmaker's Story. Filmmaker doesn't apply anymore and hasn't for many years. That endeavor, although creatively satisfying, was an expensive hobby. I'm glad I spent the time to learn the art and I'm glad I came to know and love so many friends from that experience as well. That part of my life is over though, well except for my friends, still love them!

That is a minor change though. There are a couple of bigger changes on the horizon and they both start on the same day, retirement day. I'll have three months to adjust to my new life, no school, just me learning to adjust to my new life. 

I need to create new daily habits, a new routine. I'm a creature of habit and need to find healthy things to do with my free time. Yes, polishing up my business plan is on the forefront and making my own marketing plan to brand it properly. 

Second is a huge change for me. My insomnia has gotten so bad that I am going to take my family doctor's advice and not stepping up to more powerful sleeping pills. I take trazodone right now, two pills a night which is up from half a pill a few years ago when I started. There are many more options to take but again my family doctor suggested a very effective alternative that is cheaper and now readily available since 2018 in Oklahoma. 

Yes, I am referring to medical marijuana. Since I'm a context guy when I tell a story, here is my context. 

When I grew up it was always in small towns, usually between maybe fifty thousand people down to a few hundred. I've never lived in a metropolis in my life and have no desire to. Why this is important is because I always knew everyone, and so did everyone else. In high school there were twenty people in my graduating class. There were the people that smoked weed and dropped out before our junior year and went on to....nothing. There were one or two that smoked weed and went on to great careers as well!

For me, I've always relied on my work ethic. I always felt that using marijuana would destroy my work ethic and wind up causing more problems than it solved. Plus for the past thirty years I'd be instafired if I got tested and failed a drug test. In which case I would not be able to retire in a few weeks. 

I have had my MMJ card, which is required in Oklahoma in order to walk into a dispensary. I also worked in a dispensary from December 2019 to December 2020. I know a lot about it now, it was a year long education on how it helps people. Everyone from executives to those that collected cans to get a half gram preroll walked through the doors. 

So many people over the course of a year, I talked and got to know them. I learned the strains and what they did and what they treated. I learned the customer's wants and needs and I paired them with a strain they could use. It was a fun job, a really fun job and I learned my misconceptions on weed were real. It was like anything else, it's not inherently addictive but to some people it is just like food, tobacco, alcohol, gambling, it can be. 

This concludes part 1, I'll be back tomorrow morning for part 2. 

No comments: