Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Time Travel And Filmmaking

Time traveling has been on my mind since I was a wee little kiddo watching Star Trek on TV when I was first exposed to the concept when the Enterprise goes to Earth and trap a fighter jet in their tractor beam. My interest was further increased in the legendary episode "The City On The Edge Of Forever" where a rudimentary Stargate is used in a library to jump from time to time.

I have often thought of the dynamics and applications of being a time traveler. I've enjoyed such shows as Quantum Leap, Sliders, and even Voyagers. I am consumed with the concept. I have pondered what I would do if I could travel backward or forward in time and for lengths such as a hour, a minute, a day, any length of time you could imagine.

Heck I'm even reading a great book called "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. It has been incredible so far and I'm engrossed with the possibilities!!!!

A few seconds could make a world of difference for me in a few cases. I've done some stupid things that I wish I had a instant rewind/erase button....or a time machine. I've thought about what it would be like to be a master of time without machinery. To will yourself to travel to anytime you wish without mechanical means could be a great way to pass a afternoon or a rainy day!

"What are you doing tonight?"
"Oh, I thought I'd see how the pyramids were built, what are you up to?"
"Not much, bring me back some sand."

This brings me to the story of John Titor. Time Traveler from 2036. You can even buy a t-shirt with his official military time traveling unit insignia on it. I first became aware of John's story in late 2003, well after John disappeared.

John's story although most certainly is a hoax, it is a elaborate and well constructed hoax. Probably one of the most detailed hoaxes in all of internet history!

Yes I do, somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind wonder just for a second if it were real what it would mean for mankind and of course myself in trying to sign up in 2036 to travel in time!

If John Titor exists (He is supposed to have been born a few years ago now) and if he accomplished his mission of obtaining a special IBM computer from the 1970's and if he safely made it back to 2036 then who knows if he could have come back and might be here in this time right now.

Elaborate to say the least. I won't give you a link. There are tons of sites out there if you just type in John Titor and all of them have a plethora of information on John and his mission.

What this has to do with filmmaking should come as no surprise. I have always had a couple of different time travel ideas in my head but have never even began to write them down. Time travel movies are sometimes complex....see Primer or DonnieDarko for prime examples. They can be picked apart in a heartbeat if you don't have every thread woven correctly.

They can be very intimidating if you start to figure out the physics of your story and the universe that your story takes place in.

I do feel I have a story in me but getting it on paper will be a different matter.

Speaking of which, I contacted the production company who currently has Locker and are converting it to DVD for duplication. They have had a few setbacks with it and I might have to bring the camera it was filmed on in to them to prevent the problems. I have to call them in the morning and see what they discovered.

1 comment:

blu said...

I have not but I shall look into it for sure!