Sunday, February 08, 2009

Beautiful Day

Yesterday was great! Calm, warm, and a perfect day to sit outside and enjoy a La Flor Dominicna Ligero L 500 Cabinet which is a very strong, full flavored cigar. It clocks in at 5 3/4 x 60 which is a massive ring gauge and a bit bigger than a Robusto in length.

To start with it I clipped the end and toasted the foot. A soft flame lighter would have taken forever to toast something this caliber so I used my triple flame jet lighter. It took a few seconds then it was on to actually lighting it.

Massive clouds of woodsy smoke filled the air. The first half inch was a bit stout and peppery. There is no doubt that this was a full flavored cigar. Not quite as powerful as the Joya de Nicaragua which is the strongest cigar I've had. The JdN is quite a bit smoother though.

I believe that the taste difference came from the Oscuro wrapper on the La Flor Dominicana. The wrappers really do provide at least 50% of the flavor and I really haven't had many Oscuros. Overall I wouldn't buy this cigar, this one was gifted to me in a contest. If I have had more of a developed palate for an Oscuro wrapper then I would know a bit more about what to expect.

It did mellow out about half way into the cigar and became much less harsh. The one rule of thumb is never judge a cigar by the first half inch. That was certainly true regarding this particular cigar. Don't try it if you are a cigar newbie. It will over power you.

I received my PIN number yesterday as well! So I went to activate my debit card and now I finally have access again to my checking account! I'm thrilled! I'm normal again!

No comments: