Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I Love DVD Tuesdays!

DVD Tuesdays, yeah that is a great day of the week!
Well it is when something good is being released!
Today I picked up the extended edition of Return of the King, Collateral, and I, Robot.
I'll start with the movie that all of you will start to criticize me for first I, Robot.

I know I know, let me say that I had no desire at all when this one opened. The closest I came to seeing it was when American Chopper did the I,R bike. But I'm a fan of DVD and this one looks like it will make a good viewing experience despite the movie. A put your brain on pause while it plays type of movie. I need those every once in a while.

Collateral. Now that is nearly my type of movie. Yeah it had some flaws but its style was very very good. Dark, not only the lighting but the material was dark. The music was dark, the mood was dark. Two very desolate people who really don't connect to anything around them or anyone find each other one night in the city that has so many people in it that it would be hard to connect with anyone. How is that for irony? They do connect with each other but even though the circumstances are twisted. They see a bit in each other that they actually like even though that side of the relationship is behind what is being said. Now I know at least one person who might be reading this who is thinking that I just told them all about how I don't like it when people read things into a movie that really aren't there. I really do see a little bit of Vincent and Max liking each other even though their roles in life are very different, they are very much alike. Yeah I like this one!

Now for a movie that is more of an experience! Lord of the Rings: Return of the King!
One of the greatest epics ever committed to film in the history of film! Good vs. Evil, Black and White, no Gray. Truth is very simple and well defined. Evil must be defeated or the world will perish. The scope of this trilogy of films is something that might very well never be repeated in my lifetime. The Greater Good. Self Sacrifice. Dare I say, Love Your Neighbor? I think so. One of the scenes that really stands out in my mind that sums up this series is a very simple one towards the end. The four hobbits are sitting in a pub while everyone around them is celebrating. Not celebrating the victory of Good over Evil, they have no clue that there was even a conflict let alone that their world had nearly come to an end (Yeah I know about the scourging of the Shire, I'm talking movie not books here) if it weren't for the actions of two of the most unsuspecting of folk. The four hobbits are somberly drinking a mug of ale, the people around them have no idea the sights these four had seen, the experiences thay had experienced, the sacrifices they had sacrificed. They had grown in a way that the others around them could not connect with and they had a hard time connecting with their own friends and family again. The one place that they had fought for to keep safe and how they longed to return only to find that the battle of Good and Evil had nearly made them unable to return in a way.

Some movies are more than a movie, a select few redefine the art of cinema. I have a friend who is a photographer, I have an amazing feeling that they will do for photography what Peter Jackson has done for cinema with this amazing piece of artwork.

No comments: