Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Showercats

Allow me to let you in on some of my morning routine and what happens at my house.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have two cats and one black lab. My lab is a outside dog who inhabits the garage with a nice fleece pillow that my mom made and a heat lamp for those cold evenings. He's a pretty happy doggie who enjoys the occasional treat of smoked ribs and packages of hot dogs.

Yes I spoil him.

Now my cats are the opposite. They are inside cats and brother and sister from the same litter. They are both fixed and if you will recall my post about one of my cats about his teeth they are also well taken care of with the occasional tuna treat.

Now when I get up in the morning they are at my bedroom door, usually scratching at the door and meowing very loudly. I generally see paws slip under the door to get my attention. I keep my door closed because I have plants in my bedroom and a waterbed which isn't very cat proof.

So upon waking up and opening the door the first thing I see is two cats running to their food dish. I feed them and turn on the dryer. I keep my work clothes in the dryer. I then head to the bathroom to brush my teeth and shower. Usually before I can get the toothpaste on the toothbrush, Patch, my female cat is with me. I know she hasn't taken more than a couple of bites of food but there she is. (She is also the loudest at the bedroom door) I turn on the water and by this time Rocket, my male cat is there with me.

They both stay put on the shower mat while I wash and wake up. Occasionally Rocket will jump up on the side of the tub and poke his head around the curtain and meow.

It is at this point that I don't know if they understand that I don't actually need to be present near their food dish for them to eat or if they just love me that much but they stay right there with me. When I turn the shower off, push back the curtain, and grab a towel they will usually jump into the tub with me. I kid you not my friends.

When Rocket was more of a kitten he would jump into the tub with me while the shower was on but he stopped that after a few times.

So by the time I have dried off and head to the dryer to get my warm and fluffy clothes my cats follow me and remember their food dish. Now cats are smarter than most people think.

At one time Patch would look at both sides of the food dish and eat from the fullest one. When Rocket was eating and she would walk in she would move Rocket out of the way and eat from the side he was eating from, I guess assuming that his side was fuller.

Well not long ago I saw this and it has happened quite a few times. When Patch isn't around and I'm getting dressed, Rocket will pick the dish that has the least amount of food in it. Patch will usually come in soon after and move him out of his side and Rocket then gladly move to the fuller dish.

It was amazing to see and that is how my mornings usually go at my place!

No comments: