Friday, December 21, 2007

The Ultimate DVD Set

I purchased the four DVD set Tuesday. I posted about it and my personal feelings for the movie as well as some history.

Yesterday after work I purchased the five standard definition DVD ultimate set. I was planning on putting this purchase off until I made the jump to HD DVD and Blu-Ray and then deciding which version of that to get.

I have decided that when I do eventually make the jump I'll stick to my original plan and just own two sets. I plan on giving my four DVD set away.

This is by far the ultimate DVD set ever thus far. It comes with five cuts of the movie:
The Final Cut
The Theatrical Cut
The International Cut
The Director's Cut
The Work Print Cut

I am partial to the original theatrical cut. That was the first version I was introduced to and the one I fell in love with even though many purists prefer the director's cut or the final cut.

There is a letter from Ridley Scott. A origami unicorn. A replica spinner vehicle. A lenticular film cell. Storyboards. Practically everything you could ask for in a movie package.

This is simply the ultimate DVD set constructed for any movie EVER! There are sets that are close, the Lord Of The Rings: Extended Edition Sets that had the miniatures with it. The Matrix Set would be close. The Alien Set would be close.

The thing though is that all of those were for a series of movies, this is simply one movie. For single movies it would be tough to approach this kind of detail.

Ben Hur would be a decent comparison. Perhaps The Searchers or The Ten Commandments. Those movies though are considered epics. This set is more comprehensive though than any of those.
Don't tell me Titanic, if I have to argue why that isn't a good movie then you just wouldn't understand anyway and you deserve to wallow in ignorance.

Blade Runner stands as the undisputed king of all DVD sets, without question.

No comments: