Friday, November 24, 2006

Over There

I am one episode away from finishing this fine show. I am sorry to see this one end.

Over There follows several storylines from several characters. The one I find myself enjoying the most is the complex Sgt. Scream. There are several episodes that show his character's character but he is really showcased in Orphans.

There is the saint like Angel who grapples with guilt issues from his great aunt. Double Wide and her stay at home husband and how he copes with being at home while his wife is at war. Dim and his cheating, alcoholic wife. Bo Rider who grapples with losing a limb. Smoke and his transformation of being a racist street thug into a soldier who trusts his brother soldiers. Mrs. B and her troubles. Tariq who is an American from Iraqi descent who has gone to fight after 9-11.

The storylines are inspiring and heartbreaking. It is a shame that only thirteen episodes were done. I am sensitive to politically slanted material and aside from a couple of throwaway lines this is pretty balanced.

This set is on loan from Beersnob and I have been needing to return it for a couple of months now. This holiday weekend gave me the perfect opportunity to watch the whole series start to finish today. As I said there is one episode left as of this writing and I am sorry to see it end. Like a good book that you want to keep reading or a good moment you never want to end.

This is one of those shows. It is about the soldiers themselves and not about the policies. Yeah a lot of it is fictional but I believe that a lot of it strikes home for a lot of our troops.

If you get a chance, see it.

No comments: