Friday, April 25, 2008

Rodan

One of the best Japanese giant monster movies post Godzilla was Rodan. Rodan was unique in that it was filmed in color and had some very intricate model work. Rodan had heart. It knew how big Godzilla had been but wanted to offer up something a bit different.

This is actually a serious movie though, it is of course "Nukes are bad" and all that but as far as you can treat a giant rubber monster as serious then Rodan was it. Godzilla was a terror to Japan, Rodan terrorized the whole world at supersonic speeds. It dominated, Godzilla, and as much as I love Godzilla, wasn't the terror that Rodan was in this one movie.

The ending was outstanding. I remember seeing this movie on KSHB 41 out of Kansas City when I was a kid at my grandparents house on summer vacation and how amazed I was with this movie! The ending alone really effected me then. It is as powerful today but not like it was. I could imagine that it would effect a kid who was my age though. Around 10ish give or take a year or two.

Rodan is one of the elite monster movies of all time!

No comments: