Sunday, June 18, 2006

I've Tried To Watch The World Cup

But it is very hard to get into.

I understand that it is a huge worldwide party and that soccer is the world's most popular sport.
Well supposedly, I think it is just because the rest of the world can't build a fast car or play football.

Yeah I have given the World Cup a fair shot. Yawned a bit but I'm trying to understand it. I figure that if I "got it" then I wouldn't yawn as much.

So far it seems that the US Team has been a bust. We got destroyed by the Czech Republic and tied Italy....sigh....

I kept thinking we would have an easier time scoring goals if we sent Ronnie Lott to take out their goalie and I am having a hard time rooting for a tie.

There should be a sudden death in soccer. No one wants to see a tie. You play ninety minutes , work your hearts out, get all rough and tumble with the other team and for what? Each team gets a point?

What kind of victory is that?

I want a winner!!!!

America didn't tolerate ties in the NCAA and we don't tolerate them in the pros. NHL?
Please, I mean sports that people watch.

You don't see a tie in NASCAR! We invented drag racing, two cars and one wins!!!!

I am 100% positive America didn't invent soccer.

With all of my problems with the MLB, you'll NEVER see a tie. One team has to win and there is no time limit!!!!

I like a big party though and as far as I can tell that is the best thing about the World Cup. It is like the world's tail gate party.

Other countries live soccer, apparently because they just don't have much else to root for like we do. No I'm not insulting the other countries at all. I'm just stating that the NFL is complex. There is probably no other sport in the world that is as complex as the NFL. You can have baseball purists argue about the complexity of baseball but I don't buy it.

You have to be a near genius to be an NFL coach now. Playbooks are thousands of pages and each play has different audibles for every position!

A tie in the NFL is unforgivable and it is also unforgivable in the USA!

No comments: