Sunday, May 18, 2008

On The Edge Of Summer

Just in time for Summer I heard All Summer Long the other day, a song by Kid Rock and it really made me think about when I was that age how I wished for days like he sings about.



Even though my Summers were never quite as idealistic as his I did have some that were care free and fun while I was in elementary school. Then the Summer really seemed like it lasted forever. A week lasted a month! I'd be up before seven and outside terrorizing the neighborhood. There were trees to climb, bikes to ride, games to make up....until three o'clock when Underdog came on. Then we, my next door neighbor friend Audra, and I were out again until dark!

Days were long and filled! It was a small town but you had to have a friend in the country with a pond or river to go fishing. I had those but there was plenty to do in town! We'd walk to the park (where there was a pond but not a fishing pond) then we would walk to Northside Market, walk back home with our penny candies. We'd walk downtown and then walk to the community pool!

Middle school and high school Summers were filled with working so they were not nearly as enjoyable as far as being care free and fun filled.

There were moments though;)

Now I would love to have a lake around here, friends, campfires, boats, and a camper would really be a lot of fun! I really don't enjoy eating fish but it is a blast to catch them! I am confident there will be a thousand fun Summer days coming up!!!!

No comments: