Monday, March 07, 2011

Day 17: 12:30 PM

We came upon the truck stop, fire was burning from one of the pumps. Blood was everywhere, still leaking from the lifeless, half eaten bodies on the ground. No infected were in sight though, red flag.

A row of tankers, flatbeds, and reefer trucks lined the parking lanes. I get strange feelings when I look over the scene, like danger is imminent, maybe I'm developing my spidey sense?

Danger is the only thing in my head right now that makes sense. A.J. agrees, "We'll pull up along side one of the fuel tankers, jump out and start it, Nathan and I will cover you. Oh and check the tank to see if it's diesel or not."

I'd rather do the covering.

Still not an infected in sight as we crawl along the row of trucks. Three fuel tankers are lined up in a row together from the same fuel company. Chances are one of them is diesel. I get out of the truck, still wishing I was doing the covering of me but I do it anyway or none of us are getting out of here. I climb up on the trailer and pop open one of the hatches. Gasoline. I close the hatch so it doesn't evaporate.

From my vantage point I can see faces now looking at me from the truck stop restaurant. Watching me. A.J. and Nathan can't see them watching me, bad vantage point.

I jump over to the next trailer, twelve feet up in the air. I pop the hatch. Diesel! that's what we need! I signal A.J. that we're taking this one. That was a bad move, the infected must have thought I was signaling them that the human smorgasbord was open. The door opens and they stream out.

Some of them have on trucker clothes, some mechanic, some waitress and cooks. This sucks. I signal A.J. and Nathan they are coming and point from the direction they will be headed. They pull the truck forward enough to see where I'm pointing and ready their shotguns. Then an idea dawns on me. I leap over to the third truck, pop the hatch on it, gasoline!

Perfect! I climb down and open the valves and watch the gas drain like a small river towards the infected. I open the valve in the back of the trailer and it adds to the flood. A.J. sees what I'm doing and pulls the truck out of the way. All of the infected are standing in pooling gas now as the liquid has reached the restaurant.

I go around to the diesel truck and hide behind it shielding everything of me I can, one bullet later and it erupts in a river of fire! It's HOT and it roars. The infected are now on liquid fire and burning alive? I don't know, maybe they are alive maybe they aren't anymore. Now they won't be eating me and that's more pressing on my mind.

I climb up into the cab of the truck we're taking, hit the glow plugs and ignition and it roars to life. The pumps in front of the restaurant explode, shattering all of the truck stop glass facing the pumps. Nope, never thought I'd do that in a million years. Blow up a truck stop and kill forty or fifty people with a gas tanker.

My high school guidance counselor would be proud.

No comments: