Tuesday, January 15, 2008

DVD Dilemma

Yes my friends I have a dilemma. Do I make the switch to Blu-Ray or stick to SD (standard definition) DVD?

I blogged my original plan a while back which was jump into the HD realm in one giant leap with a TV, two players (one of each), and about three hundred dollars in movies for each format. Now with the imminent rise of Blu-Ray as the possible dominate format what do I do?

The problem arises when you realize I purchase a ton of classic movies, love the Criterion Collection, indie stuff, and TV stuff. It is likely that none of that will be released on a superior format in the next couple of years anyway. There are STILL come great movies out there that haven't been released on SD! African Queen anyone?!?!?! Brilliant movie that I dearly love!!!

Absent on DVD!!!! Yes that is crazy! There are many more lesser known movies out there that have yet to be released on DVD as well.

So what is a movie fan to do? Anyone who knows me knows I have an extensive DVD collection, extensive. They aren't going away. Well here is what a HD DVD or Blu-Ray player will do. They upconvert SD DVDs to 1080p! Yeppers that is correct! They will take your SD DVDs and play them at the maximum resolution your TV is capable of!

1080p is the maximum right now or full HD. Now even though a SD is 420 your player will take that and run it through a chip which makes it look nearly as good as full HD!

So I believe I'll go with my original plan once I settle on the TV I want. It is still taking quite a bit of research as there isn't one individual TV that has everything I want. All of the features and none of the drawbacks. When I settle on something I'll post it though! I've got time after all:)

No comments: