Saturday, January 19, 2008

Good And Bad Evening!!!!

The good, I hung out with friends after work at the pub. Got some supper, had a couple of drinks, just decompressed for a couple of hours. It felt good and relaxing.

The bad, I went with Beersnob to see Cloverfield. While I understand the concept they were going for it went bad very quickly and turned into an exercise in tedious frustration. Every time there was something interesting you wanted to see happening the very shaky camera quickly turned to something uninteresting.

If you are prone to motion sickness then you should not see this movie at all. It will make you sick. There are precious few steady shots, I'm talking about seconds at a time. When it was over with all I heard in the audience was, "Thank goodness that's over!" This movie wears on you and fatigues you and not in a good way. The entire movie is shot on the run in the style of a hand held camera. While some of the parts where the camera holder are out and out implausible, the camera alone takes damage far above what a normal camera would take in a giant monster attack.

Don't see it unless you just have a couple of hours of your life you don't care about.

This morning I went with a couple of coworkers to have breakfast. This was a place that has been there for years but I've never been to. It reminded me of the little diners I used to eat in when I was a kid. Wonderful food, lots of it, reasonably priced. They bring you water when you sit down, a rare thing in this day and age.

I then decided to get two new tires as I had two new ones put on a few months ago and needed the other two replaced. They didn't have four at the time so I could only get two. So now I have new tires, a good breakfast, a warm house, and it is a very very cold day out!

No comments: