Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Blasphemy

I just couldn't write about this yesterday. It really is blasphemy, there is no other word for it.

Saturday night during the previews while we were at Hancock there was a scifi movie trailer. It looked almost interesting, I even mentioned it to one of my companions. Then I saw something that looked a little familiar and I started to get a sinking feeling.

The feeling that just made me physically ill almost. I saw Keanu Reeves answering questions hooked to a machine. That part looked good. Then I saw a metal headed robot and a visor lift up and that was the part that made me ill.

Then the payoff, the title that made my jaw drop as my fears were confirmed. One of the great scifi movies of all time has been remade. Hollywood strikes yet again with its repackaging of movies that have no business being remade. Take something classic and repackage it, add tons of CGI, and throw in a story that will appeal to the lowest common denominator and you have The Day The Earth Stood Still....the remake......sigh.......

I love this movie. I have a shirt and the movie poster on my iPhone! This is a wonderful movie and stands the test of time in every way! Its story is timeless which makes it a classic! It applies to every age!

I hate remakes. I love originality and I guess that makes me out of touch. I want to see new and fresh. I don't want to see a movie that was perfect the first time around to be remade for no reason other than to dumb it down.
I think I'm sick now.....

No comments: