Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An Unlikely Achievement

I was in a very reflective mood this weekend and it just so happens that I am reading My Dearest Friend as I blogged about a short time ago.

For those of you who don't want to read back to see what the book is about I'll recap for you. My Dearest Friend is a collection of letters between John and Abigail Adams. John Adams was the second President of the United States and a Founding Father.

However this post isn't about John Adams, it is about something that kind of dawned on me while I was reading My Dearest Friend.

John and Abigail Adams' story is one of endurance as they were separated for long amounts of time, it is one of patience, friendship, intimacy, and ultimately one of the Great American Love Stories as they were married for fifty four years.

That is what this post is about, I'll likely not reach a fifty year wedding anniversary. In fact at my age now if I were to get married then thirty would be a landmark and a great achievement. Forty would Everest and fifty....well that is just unlikely. I would have to live to at least eighty and close to ninety as well as my mate.

It isn't that I don't have the capability of something of that magnitude it is just that sometimes I am a bit impulsive. I can be a bit short sighted. I can be a bit quirky. A bit self centered. Sometimes I do things I think are funny but in reality aren't. Sometimes I can be hard to get along with but all of those things are a work in progress.

It would take a woman of patience for sure and a good sense of humor. Someone who would overlook my considerable faults. At my age it would be hard to find someone like that.

So when I show up to my thirtieth high school reunion I might very well be alone again and hopefully I'll have undergone just as many changes as the past ten years, good and bad. If I should be blessed with a partner then I'll be well on my way to my own Great American Love Story although it might not be as epic as John and Abigail.

No comments: