Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Wonderful Tuesday!

Last night I took a friend out to supper and then we went grocery shopping! I'm cooking tonight and I can't wait! I love to cook!

It also rained all night, it was amazing sleeping weather! I feel so good this morning! I'm rested. I've been reading My Dearest Friend, The letters of John and Abigail Adams. It is a collection of their letters from before, during, and after the country was founded.

This is very fascinating but I confess that I am missing the context of some of them, the grammar and spelling are a bit tough to decipher at times and I don't get a lot of their references from their time. However what I do get is that it is a fascinating look behind the curtain of the founding of our country and a love story that lasted over fifty years.

They were separated for very long amounts of time and letter writing was the only way to talk. Letter writing was a skill almost an art. Something that is nearly lost in today's times. We strive for instant communication while writing a letter and sending it could take days if it was in the same state and months if it was over seas like when John Adams was in France.

This is interesting though from the first letter and the work that it takes to read it, and it is work, is worth it and very rewarding.

No comments: