Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Experiment With Peppermint Oil

So yesterday I had bad sinus pain all day. I took off of work early just so I could go get some medicine or something to relieve the pressure. Note I did go to work with intense sinus pain, got to my vehicle. Started it and noticed that the alternator wasn't charging. I turned it off and opened the hood. Sure enough the belt had broken.

So in twenty degree weather I made the decision to fix it. I knew that when I had my belts replaced a while back that I kept the old ones as one of them was pretty new. I located that belt and with numbing fingers went to work. It is very easy to fix these problems. No more than a few minutes to change an alternator out even. However with the temperature and intense sinus pain it wasn't pleasant.

A couple of minutes later I got the old belt off and the new-er belt on and tightened. Charging nicely I went to work, a little later than usual but I did go because I'm saving my leave for my Vegas vacation at the end of this month!

Generally miserable I soldier on through the day thinking about what I could get to fix my sinus pain. I remember that peppermint oil in boiling water is supposed to be good! As I stated earlier I took off an hour early to figure out what to do about the throbbing pain in my head. I go by a health food store and pick up a bottle of oil and some pills that are supposed to be good for pain.

I pop a couple of the pills on the drive home and sniff the peppermint oil which seems to have an immediate effect. So I arrive, jump out of the nicely charging vehicle now and go inside. I don't do anything else but put on a pot of water and drop a few drops in it. Steam starts to waft over the pot and I put a towel over my head and breathe deep.

Didn't notice anything really. So I added a few more drops! WOW! That might have been too many as it was now burning my eyes and throat! Ok so that was probably too much for such a small pot of water!

Better idea! A hot bath! Yeah that will do nicely! So I run a hot bath and throw a few drops in. That really didn't seem like enough, this was super concentrated something or other. It should be stronger.

A couple more dashes into the water. I look at the bottle and it seems to be at the same level as it was. So a couple of harder shakes and that seems to lower the level a bit! Now we are talking!

I get into the hot water and it appears that I had stepped into the Arctic! I wanted to jump out of the water! It was plenty hot enough but the oil might have been a little bit stronger than I had anticipated! My back, back of my arms, legs, and other areas were now immersed in a giant, bathtub sized Eskimo Pie/Klondike Bar combo!

Uncomfortable wasn't exactly the term but it did take my attention off of my sinuses! Yeah maybe intense burning might be the exact word I'd use instead of uncomfortable. This was one of the most bizarre and yet unusual feelings I've ever had! Not enjoyable by any means. Again I soldiered on thinking that maybe I should have read the bottle and how next time I will read anything about said product before throwing a few dashes and a few more into a hot tub of water.

I can only stand a few minutes before I'm done with this! Hot and cold all at the same time...if I were a stoner this would have blown my mind!

Jumping out of the water I found out that despite having a electric heater going on in the bathroom and it being pretty warm I was suddenly very cold!!!! This was a dumb idea but my sinus pain was gone and I was breathing freely!

So in the future and for those of you out there who wish to try this, READ THE BOTTLE! If you don't think you have enough...GET IN FIRST AND ADD SOME LATER!!!!

No comments: