Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Zombies Rule The World

Well not so much in reality but if you love pop culture then it is hard to discount the influence of zombies! Not the Jamaican zombies so much who are slave labor or extract vengeance for a wronged party but the crawling from the grave, eating your brains kind of Zombie that George Romero created in 1968.

After Night of the Living Dead the zombie found a home in the dark side of our psyche. It set up house with all of the furniture, big screen TV, washer and dryer, and a couch after Dawn of the Dead though.

Day of the Dead....eh. A little too serious and it missed the camp of Dawn. Dawn is probably my favorite zombie movie, the original not the strong and worthy remake.

The cast holes up in a mall, which if you will read back to my Deadmalls.com post you'll see what I'm getting at. The Battlefield mall in Springfield Missouri, to my memory and the over twenty plus years since I've been there, is similar to the Monroeville mall in Dawn. It was a great place when you were a kid. First time I had ever seen a building that big and that many people!

I nearly bought an entire X Box system just to play Dead Rising! Where you kill zombies in a mall! I love that concept! So who among you doesn't harbor a secret fantasy about someone you know who has wronged you somehow or treated you badly being turned into a zombie while a comet streaks across the sky, or a zombie plague is released and you and your friends or family are lone survivors in the new and zombie infested world?

Guilty.

I'm putting together a list of my five favorite zombie movies, I'll post it tomorrow.

No comments: