Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Entertain Me Now!

I have had a sudden moment of clarity.

It came while watching a mobile phone commercial. Mobile phones are now allowing you to see exclusive entertainment content. So you can now be entertained anywhere and at anytime.

So why do you feel the need to have to be entertained all the time?

I am really at a loss to explain this. When boredom starts in under a minute in this society and kids are constantly jumping from activity to activity without any kind of retention and quickly becoming bored with the given activity....how is this trend going to continue?

How can it continue to feed itself? How long will it be before you can be entertained while sleeping? More importantly how long will it be before people demand to be entertained while sleeping?

That is more of the crux of this issue. Is there something wrong with feeling the need to be entertained every second of every day? While you are at work, on your way to work, at lunch, on your way home from work, at home.

Is there something that has to capture your attention every second of every day?

What if there isn't?

What if all of a sudden you find that you have been entertained by every resource possible and there is nothing left to entertain you anymore???? You are no long amused.

You can't turn on your TV, turn on your PC, can't read a book, or look at a piece of fine artwork without experiencing the dread of boredom. Is that worse than death itself?

I'm sorry my friends that this isn't a more reader friendly and upbeat post but when I have a moment of clarity I'd like to share it with you.

When you have an Ipod that you can download your favorite music, TV shows, and music videos how long will it be before you are sick of that and ready for more? Have we created a endless furnace that offers up bite sized portions of entertainment that are quickly digested and produce a need that craves more?

Is that why Hollywood has been investing so much in remakes? No one will notice the difference and buy tickets anyway to fulfill their longing to be entertained no matter how poor the product is?

There used to be and still are geniune artists who have a genuine gift for creation. This is fulfilling to them and if someone sees their work and is also fulfilled then it can't help but effect the artist. Does that add or take away the value of the work?

If the artist if fulfilled by the mere creation and no one ever sees it is the artist less fulfilled? I'd say no. If I created something and put it in a closet and no one ever reads, sees, or is effected by my creation I am no less fulfilled.

Now this is a odd position to take since I am a filmmaker and want my work to be seen. I want my stories to have an audience. I want people to actually enjoy my creations.

I guess this is because a long time ago I have felt less and less entertained and just recently realized it in my moment of clarity.

No comments: