Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Magic NOAA Voice

Yes my weather radio makes annoying noises when I'm trying to sleep but the flip side of that is that for some odd reason I find listening to the tinny mechanical voice soothing and somewhat interesting.

I can't explain it but I do. I don't know what hold this computerized voice has over my auditory senses but it is something I can listen to before going to bed. If I'm walking by the radio I'll push the button to hear the voice ramble on about daily temperatures or the humidity.

I feel a sense of relief knowing that the voice is on whenever I want it to be. Likely I'm the only one who finds the voice soothing, comforting, and reliable though but it just is to me.

I do believe I can trace interest into the voice back to when my dad had a regular radio that had a weather band on it and while in bed I would listen to the voice then. It would sort of ease me to dreamland. Maybe I associate the voice with my youth then? Perhaps. I don't know why it is fascinating to me but it is.

No comments: