Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Even Better Alliance 2

So there I was last week on pins and needles waiting for the premiere of Sons of Anarchy. I was ready for a let down from last season which started off strong and got better really without a clunker in the whole season.

This week rolled around and I was thinking for sure that the let down would finally start to happen but to my disappointment it didn't. Samcro was stronger last night than it was last week and last season. How is that possible?

How is it possible for a show to actually not let you down and fulfill your expectations? That's something you really won't find on the antiquish networks anymore. Yes there are exceptions, there always are. Lost for instance is a fine example but it even it has had its clunker episodes from time to time even though they are rare.

For the most part I never watch anything on the alphabet soup channels. They are bland and for the most part you have already seen it under a different name.

Sons of Anarchy though...oooohhhhh....there is something different. Something original. Something worth watching and it is no surprise that it isn't on the local channels.

Henry Rollins is absolutely phenomenal. I'm sure he will meet his demise by season's end if not sooner at the hands of Samcro and it'll be a sad day but I can live with it. I can't help it. I'm a fan of the man.

I've listened to all of his CDs, not so much the music ones but the stand up ones. No it really isn't comedy routines, he reads out of his journal, retells stories from the road, reads letters he gets, and things like that. Probably one of the best live story tellers this side of Kevin Smith. Very entertaining if you can find them!

Now onto the report on yesterday's hedonism. Yep a full day off with no responsibilities and nothing much to do (well until Thing 1 called me from school to be picked up because she was sick) but play video games.

I pre-ordered Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and it came out yesterday. I was out at Gamestop at 10:30 in the morning to pick it up! Console gaming is new to me again. It is fresh and vibrant. I'm really enjoying it once again!

MUA2 is an amazing game. It takes place before and during the Civil War storyline across many Marvel titles. It deals with superhero registration with the government. Half of the Marvel universe believes it's a good idea and the other half believe it isn't, they are the rebels.

You have some very heavy hitters on both sides of the argument too, leading up the rebels it is Captain America, Cable, Wolverine, and The Thing among others. On the law abiding side it is Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Thor, and SHIELD among others.

I, true to my contrarian nature chose the rebels. I really see how the game would play out very differently if you play the other side though. I'll be doing that next!

There is a ton of content here. I'm roughly 45% done with the story mode thus far and I'm itching for more. Gameplay is really easy and smooth. It doesn't require the twitch, Quake reflexes. It doesn't require the in depth chess thinking and planning of other games. It only requires a love of comics and a love of games. The graphics are outstanding and even on a non HDTV they are gorgeous. I can't imagine how fabulous they would look on a really good system!

Sadly I told Baker and Skate I'd play a character for them since they had to work, Baker requested Cyclops and Skate The Hulk. Cyclops isn't in the game thus far and I haven't unlocked The Hulk yet:(

Other than in that regard it was the perfect way to spend an unplanned day off work:)

No comments: