Monday, December 06, 2010

The Law: A LIberal's Demise

"Man can live and satisfy his wants only by ceaseless labor;
by the ceaseless application of his faculties to natural resources.
This process is the origin of property.
But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants
by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others.
This process is the origin of plunder.
Now since man is naturally inclined to avoid pain—and
since labor is pain in itself—it follows that men will resort to
plunder whenever plunder is easier than work. History shows
this quite clearly. And under these conditions, neither religion
nor morality can stop it." The Law - Frederic Bastiat

(Side note to post: you should take the time to read the above book. It is only seventy some pages and gives a better account on why liberalism is bad and destructive than I ever could. It was written in the 1850s and it's author died of tuberculosis about a year after it was finished.)

Over the weekend the extension of the Bush tax cuts or the soon to be taxes on the wealthy was defeated. It is common knowledge that one of the carrots that the Dems want is an extension of the unemployment benefits so that the tax cuts are extended for everyone.

This is the holiday season after all and it's unfair that the benefits are running out in December. I haven't looked but I'd wager that the ninety nine weeks of unemployment benefits were written into law to specifically expire now by the Dems so they would have an issue to fight for.

Bottom line there are jobs out there, yeah you might hate doing one of them. Delivering pizzas or stocking shelves sucks and it likely doesn't pay as much as your unemployment benefits. When the government will pay you more not to work than you could have made by working then where is the incentive to work?

The flip side is you Ninety Niners knew that eventually your benefits were going to run out, why didn't you find two or three jobs before they did so your family isn't in the situation it is in now? Ride the benefits out for ninety weeks, that's almost two years of tax payer money. Take the last nine weeks and get a couple of jobs to replace your income.

When I was on strike I had a job exactly two days after our first picket line. I worked on the third day of the strike. Since we essentially walked off of our jobs were weren't eligible for unemployment. I had a family to feed though and I had obligations to meet. The money wasn't enough to do that but we made do. We did it and got through that horrible time in my life. I delivered food and washed dishes.

That job got us through a very tough time. If I were given ninety nine weeks of tax payer money not to work I still would have gotten a job. I would have preferred to at least work for less money than take hand out money to do nothing.

If I were on unemployment for this long and hadn't done something about it until the last minute, I'd be ashamed of myself.

No comments: