Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Ready Player One

I zipped through this book! Only put it down when I had to and still pulled it up on my Kindle app at both jobs in my spare time!

The story takes place in the not so distant future. The population is out of control and resources have dried up. The only respite for the common person is to spend time in the OASIS. A free massive multiplayer online game or life simulator. It's free to access for everyone and depending on your personal wealth how you are able to access it is up to you. From free publicly provided visors and gloves to state of the art immersion pods. In OASIS you can escape the drudgery and very harsh reality around you. You can be anyone you design, you can go to public school in the OASIS, or church. You can basically do or explore a painstakingly realistic simulations of many fantasy universes from Star Wars to Star Trek. From Norrath to Azeroth and more.

Then came the day that changed everything. James Halliday died. The co-creator of OASIS, genius, and multibillionaire had no one to leave his fortune to. So he held a contest and the first one to find a hidden Easter Egg or surprise within the game would inherit everything.

Halliday was a teen during the eighties, like myself, and chose to make hundreds of pop culture facts as his clues and sprinkled them around OASIS.

This lead to full time Egg Hunters or Gunters for short. A sort of professional class of pop culture experts trying to glean every shred of knowledge about the seventies and eighties they could to find the Egg.

That's the premise you'll find in this book and I loved it! Every bit of it! I devoured it from ecover to ecover! I wished it had been twice as long or longer like the Song of Ice and Fire series!

One of the more interesting references was to an Atari game series called Swordquest. The idea was four individual games that held the clues to a hidden jewel encrusted sword. The first game was released and I had it and played it! Before the games could be completed Atari cancelled the contest and the prize. I believe the first prize was found though but I never looked into the winner.

This was an enjoyable trip down pop culture lane:)

Ready Player One was just a good book:)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: