Monday, May 29, 2006

Grilling And Filmmaking

This has been a pretty decent weekend!

Planning a cookout today, I've got the meats and a new grill, a bag of charcoal, and some grilling tools, which I intend to leave at John's house.

I don't think he has a grill and I have two. Everyone should have a grill and learn how to use it. I'm more of a grill cook than a gourmet cook but by golly, I CAN GRILL!!!!

Grilling is one of the great American past times. I frequently use my small personal gas grill to cook supper. Hot dogs, steak, burgers, pork. All sorts of stuff!

When you want something that tastes good and is fast to prepare so you can get onto your movie viewing or TV viewing, grilling is the way to go!

The real cool thing is that grilling is simple to learn and master. There are any number of fine grilling books out there that take you step by step on what to do. Fortunately I had plenty of experience growing up as we had a small restaurant through most of middle and high school, so grilling came fairly easily.

I often have a fantasy that I'm on a huge shooting set with some high profile stars and after wrapping for the day I go to my trailer and start cooking for everyone. There is something very satisfying about cooking for someone and have them enjoy it.

It is like building something like a movie. You get gratification fairly quickly and pride for a job well done. Filmmaking is very similar to cooking. Well except it takes a lot longer to get the project completed.

You build the scenes, compose them. Place them into an order that relays the story you have in mind in a visual sense. Then you show others your work and hope they enjoy it.

Grilling is just a bit faster.

No comments: