Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Poseidon Inferno!!!!

With the impending national release of Poseidon I decided to revisit two Irwin Allen classics new this week on special edition DVD sets.

I remember seeing both as a kid and you can still occasionally catch The Poseidon Adventure on tv once in a great while.

First is The Towering Inferno featuring two titans of acting on screen at the same time! Paul Newman and Steve McQueen! To me this has to have been one of the best pairings of legends of all time in one movie.

Yes Heat had Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro but their actual screen time was very limited. Yeah they were in The Godfather II but in different eras and never shared the same frame.

The Towering Inferno was different. Steve McQueen and Paul Newman shared the best roles of this outstanding ensemble cast which also featured the likes of Fred Astair, Faye Dunaway, William Holden, and pre-trial of the century OJ Simpson among many others.

Come on though, if you are going to watch this movie it is because of McQueen and Newman! Now it is a GREAT movie! Everyone knows the story so I won't go into it but to tell you that on this new DVD set it looks amazing!

Now as great as The Towering Inferno is, The Poseidon Adventure is better! I mean has Gene Hackman ever given a bad performance? Another Irwin Allen adventure movie that involves a capsized ocean liner and the fight for survival. After seeing this masterpiece of diaster films, I am going to stick to my remake policy and not see Poseidon. I admit I do falter from time to time *Cough* King Kong *Cough* but I am happy I made the Kong exception. Come on its Peter Jackson!

The Poseidon Adventure also has never looked better! Who could ever forget Shelly Winter's role or Red Button's fine performance? Ernest Borgnine or Roddy McDowall's great characters?

I admit that Poseidon looks like it could be a very good movie but I know if I go and see it Hollywood would just be that more encouraged to make more REMAKES!!!!

AAARRRGGHHH!!!!

So the past couple of days have been very good!!!!

With Mr. Hyde's new job and revisiting two classics nothing could harsh my happy!!!!

I was smiling all day long!!!!

No comments: