Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Three More Days

And then I'm off for two full weeks. Yeah I know I've mentioned this a time or two the past couple of blogs but you know something? I'm excited about not being at work for two weeks!

There has been a big to do at work lately anyway about one section being behind so they are asking for volunteers to go and work there. The problem is though that there is no guarantee that there will be people called back from the layoff. It goes a bit more indepth than that, lots of union and company rules to abide by and overlook you know.

Anyway no one is happy about how they are going to do it but they are happy that it is going to be done. Does that make sense? If you worked where I worked it would make perfect sense.

My main concern is getting people who were laid off back to their jobs. My job happens to be pretty recession proof. We aren't dependent upon lots of market factors that dictate how many people work or not. The layoff happened well before the financial crisis and in my opinion was planned when the company bid the contract a year ago. I believe they bid layoffs into their price.

I might go to the union meeting this coming Saturday, there is likely going to be a fight and lots of yelling and screaming at Johnny Friendly, our corrupt union boss. People want accountability and they don't feel they are getting it.

Personally I'm grateful for my job! A very good friend was laid off and I keep him informed about any jobs that might be posted so he can get back to work, even if it isn't the job he left. One came up yesterday and I believe he is going to take it, he would get all of his benefits back and because it is a different pay grade he will go to the top of that pay scale. He was making more when he was laid off, I don't believe they will call him back in the next year, maybe ever.

No comments: