Wednesday, December 31, 2008

When Reality Interferes With Fantasy

There is a phenomenon I've picked up on the past few years. First I noticed it when I was playing Everquest back in the day, then as that morphed into several other MMORPG games....well all of the other MMORPG games out there I sunk hours and hours into.

Then I noticed it when I saw the movie trailer for Darkon and eventually the documentary. Watch it or refer back to my blog post about Darkon.

Now this might be the next incarnation of the trend of not being happy with your own reality and injecting massive amounts of fantasy into your life.

The idea of being a crime fighter is appealing to most people. However when it comes to reality you go out in a costume, walk around, hope to find exactly what? A crime in progress? Ok so you happen to come across a gang banging dope slinger and confront him...in your costume.

Well you can imagine exactly what would likely happen. Not to mention the repercussions of the eventual driveby shootings of his dope slinging gang banging homies on your secret lair.

All of this makes me wonder again why people strive to be a hero in a fantasy realm instead of a hero in the real world. They could go out and about helping the elderly in real life clothes, it would appear that the costume would hinder that endeavor.

No comments: