Sunday, February 26, 2012

How Walmart Lost My Optimism

I'm really not liking a lot of our Walmart customers. Me, the optimist who always believes in a better humanity, a better tomorrow. That things will always get better than they are now.

A few months of working retail and seeing how people treat each other and naturally you as a worker will change that point of view. My main pet peeve is that they will take something from the store, most likely frozen, and just leave it where ever they feel like, to thaw and ruin.

They'll get huge carts full of groceries and just leave them on purpose somewhere. Last week there were two large carts packed full...just left between produce and meat. This happens every week!

Last night I almost got ran over by a manic nine year old that his oblivious mother, and I use that term lightly, let push the cart. Naturally he pushed it as fast as he could making people down the action aisle dodge him! I wanted to thump the kid on his head and resisted the urge to knock him the F out! I know that's bad but I did resist, however that doesn't change the fact that I had that thought and urge.

If I knew how to work the intercom I'd get on there and say something like, "Will the clueless person who left X in the produce section to thaw/rot/or generally tick me off, please report back to produce so you can be humiliated in front of the other clueless shoppers please!"

Which would be immediately followed by a meeting in one of the manager's offices, in which they would likely secretly thank me for doing what they've been wanting to do for years!

It wasn't but a few short weeks ago I was literally frazzled, my brain's circuits were fried. I came home and went immediately to bed and stayed there in the dark. The Date would ask me a question and I had a hard time answering. There were so many people in our section it was like Six Flags in our area!

I will recover my optimism once again but for now it's in a trunk, packed up in the back of my head.

No comments: