Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Movie I've Seen The Most

It is really a movie you probably wouldn't guess at all. It didn't do well at the box office when it came out but I'd wager that I really have seen this movie more times than any other.

A Christmas Story.

With the TBS 24 Hours of A Christmas Story Marathon every year for the past few years that has probably catapulted this tiny gem of a movie far ahead of movies that I have seen such as Casablanca, Star Wars, Citizen Kane, African Queen and such.

I can't think of any movie that I have seen more than this one. I can't think of any TV show episode that I have seen more than this movie either.

I believe everyone is familiar with the story and probably can relate to it which is probably why the appeal has given A Christmas Story such long legs.

The theme is pretty universal, a young boy is obsessed with getting one gift and goes to great lengths to tell others about what he wants. It just so happens that everyone is seemingly standing in his way.

It is also a good reflection of childhood during this time of year through the eyes of a child. Something many adults have lost site of. In this era of materialism and holiday hustle and bustle it is easy to lose site of what the Spirit of Christmas is all about. I have come to the point of my life where giving is far more enjoyable than getting anything. That actually happened about ten years ago if I was going to put a date on it.

Once you get a taste for giving and how much joy it really brings you, you start to want to do it more often. You start to make it a daily event if you can. You start looking for people to lend a hand to and start seeing how little the paper, ribbons, and bows actually mean.

Now here is the hard part, you also have to be a joyful receiver. When someone else goes gets the giving bug and you wind up on their list, it also is giving them a tremendous amount of joy and if you can't gracefully accept their gift you are denying them the same pleasure you are trying to achieve for yourself through giving.

I admit I am the most difficult person in the world to buy for. For the most part I am capable of taking care of all of my wants and needs. I would rather someone give to a charity than to me but if they want to give me something then I am also a gracious receiver because I know it comes from their heart and they mean it. Be thankful someone is thinking of you, there are a lot of people out there who don't have anyone in their lives during this time of year.

No comments: