Sunday, August 19, 2007

Just Under One Week Now!!!!

Yes my friends, one week from yesterday I will have my full fantasy football team drafted and ready to dominate the league this season!

This is one of the highlights of the year for me! All of the preparation, all of the draft strategies I read over, all of the expert's picks I evaluate. I have noticed one thing though, this marks eleven years now for me in this league and a lot of "experts" I have read have less years under their belt.

I feel that sometimes the "expert" title is used a bit too freely. The fact of the matter is that no one knows what is going to happen during the long and brutal season. I remember Jamal Anderson after his breakout season, he set the league record with 400+ carries, I can't recall the exact number at the moment. What happens next season after all of the experts had him as a top 3 lock to be the best RB that season? He blows out his knee which effectively ends his career.

That right there makes me very leery of Larry Johnson this season. He had 420 carries last season, he is holding out right now so it might be a moot point but he has a lot of wear and tear on him which makes him a high risk pick. KC has back up RBs who are looking to step up and show what they can do. They even drafted a rookie RB who could eventually take the reigns as the lead RB!

So now I give you my FFL Commandments:
I. Though shall draft the best RB available in the first round.

II. Though shall draft the best available player for your scoring format in the consecutive rounds.

III. Though shalt not buy the hype of rookies in the first round.

IV. Though shall pay attention to who has been drafted before your pick and not pick the same player. This annoyeth me.

V. Though shalt not pick your secret, sure fire, heavy hitter sleeper in the first round. This is NOT a sleeper, it is an overreach and should show everyone in the room you areth an idiot.

VI. Though shalt not get sucked into position runs. Excluding the RBs in the first round, buck the trend. When owners are picking the same position in a long run, that leaves other high value players available for your drafting pleasure.

VII. Your season is madeth or brokeneth in rounds 3 through 6. Your first and second rounders should be your guaranteed blue chipper studs who you can count on to produce points. The three through six pick are when owners are separated from the rest of the pack and shows your drafting expertise.

VIII. If though shall be able to draft more players with the same bye week the better! Chalk up one loss for that week and dominate the league with a full lineup when everyone else is less than 100%.

IX. Though shalt not be a homer fan. Don't draft more than one player from your favorite team.

X. Have fun with your fellow owners and enjoyeth the day!

Get in a league, they are easy to find even if it is a free for fun league. Have fun with the draft, if your team tanks early learn from your draft and what you can do differently next season. Have a blast!

No comments: