Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Macallan

Last night on my way home from work I decided to purchase my next phase in my scotch experiment, a bottle of The Macallan, a twelve year old single malt.

First impressions are that it is far more complex than The Glenlivet and The Glenmorangie, which I found to be the easiest, lightest, almost fruity of all I've tasted so far. The Macallan is heavier, not nearly as sweet, has some smoke and more peat in the taste.

I was going to buy a bottle of from the Islay region but I'm glad I didn't, I know I'm not ready for that taste yet. Lots of smoke and peat and probably the hardest or most complex taste to drink for beginners.

So I feel I've accomplished my goal thus far. I've not sampled all that Scotland has to offer but I've read about each region and know what sounds good to me. Perhaps if I could find a small bottle from an Islay distillery I'd sample it but at this point I really like The Glens much better than The Macallan which comes from The Speyside. You can look up Speyside distilleries and find the characteristics of such fairly easily from this link. It is very helpful!

So that is my scotch report and next time I believe I'm going with an older but not cask strength Glenlivet region whiskey!

So if anyone is out there and would like to head by for a drink of The Glenlivet, The Macallan, or Johnnie Walker Black, please do! You know you are all more than welcome!

I don't recommend the Johnnie Walker though once you have tried a single malt.

No comments: