Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Beauty

Those of you who know me know I have a fascination with beauty and what defines it.
From Paul Potts amazing and heartrending performance to random, anonymous, selfless acts I am fascinated.

From haunting, beautiful voices, to ugly situations which produce people of grace I'm interested. Those of you who know me know that I've been known to produce tears at the most inopportune times because of such events.

You know something? I'm not embarrassed about it either. I remember a story about Elvis once when he was asked why he drives around in a pink Cadillac.

"Because I can." was his reply as is mine. Everest is there, climb it. Water is there, swim in it. Hurt is there, experience it. Love is there, revel in it. The sky is above and the earth is below, be grateful for them.

I appreciate beauty in its many many forms. I appreciate beauty in its ugliness. I appreciate beauty in its majesty. When you hear wind through a willow tree, that is beauty. When you see a sunrise so powerful it brings tears, that is beauty. When you see someone who helps their fellow man in the most simplest of ways to never be acknowledged, that is beauty. When you see a flower so sublime that you stare at it for what seems like hours, that is beauty. When you see a adoption video (that I happened to have shot) a few times and see the achingly beautiful moments and know the context for which it represents, that is beauty so ultimate that words fail.
A day so perfect you'll never forget it, be thankful.

I hold myself up as a expert on beauty since I know that in nearly every way it is the opposite of what I am, hence my self proclaimed title of expert. Yeah if you know me you know it is true.

On this sacred day I ask you to remember the beauty that was show by complete strangers six years ago today. Those helping selflessly in the face of devastation and certain death on Flight 93. Ultimate beauty in courage and self sacrifice. Please honor that beauty.

Go out and do something for someone else. Make today beautiful.

No comments: