Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Important Vote Today

The soon to be very infamous bill which will make and break many career politicians in D.C. will be voted on. One of the center pieces of Nobel Peace Prize winning President Obama's agenda, health care reform.

No one disagrees that the insurance system needs reformed. I stand on the side that America doesn't need a Canadian, or UK style of government run health care. Senator Max Baucus disagrees. His bill is expected to be voted out of committee today and head to the Senate floor.

I couldn't break it down here in a hundred years as it is so densely written so I'll make it black and white as many issues in Washington really are. Do you believe it is moral to tax someone who earns insurance now to pay for those who do not? Keep in mind that the government isn't in any kind of business to pay for anything, their only business is tax code which produces their revenue.

The Baucus bill does tax "Cadillac" plans which really is most health care insurance plans as far as I can tell. You can bet they will only say it is the plans of the upper 1% of earners who have these plans. I disagree as I have one of these plans and I'm far far from one of the top 1% of earners. In fact everyone where I work has one of these plans and some of them barely make twelve dollars per hour. Actually it taxes the insurance company offering the insurance and those costs are then passed over to the consumer such as myself.

So is it right to tax someone who is making twelve dollars per hour and take that money to buy an insurance plan for someone who doesn't have it?

Most of you readers know me personally but for those of you who don't let me fill you in a bit. If you are hungry, come over, I'll cook you a meal. If you have trouble paying your water bill and I have the spare money, I'll give it to you or what I can. If you are stranded on the side of the road, I'll stop. What I object to is when someone tells me I have to give X to Y because Y doesn't have a job, or their job doesn't offer insurance.

I'd say change the tax code, let the business keep more of its money so they can do right by their employees. Don't tax them to death and penalize them. I'd say change the tax code so that you can buy your own insurance. Let the health care insurance businesses compete against each other as Geico and Progressive do for car insurance.

Yeah I know it is an oversimplification however it is valid nonetheless. For the money they want to spend they could BUY insurance plans for every single uninsured person out there and it would cost half as much. Instead they believe several layers of bureaucracy is the solution. More bureaucracy riddled with fraud like medicaid and medicare is the solution. They actually said that once that fraud is eliminated it will almost pay for the entire bill....if so then WHY haven't they done so already? Obviously they know it is there, so why not fix that first and then tackle it from there?

Because that isn't their goal. Their goal is the total single payer system and once that is in place America as we know it is on its financial death bed. This system has NOT worked in Massachusetts but that doesn't deter them from wanting to do the same thing on the federal level. They actually believe that more government intrusion into your life is the answer.

I've got lots of liberal friends, some of my best and closest friends in fact. I can't think of any but maybe one who would like to live under the nanny state our feds are proposing. Most of my friends are hard working and pretty independent. They earn their livings doing going out into the world as I do to pay their bills and mortgages. I really can't think of one liberal friend who is incapable of living their own lives, free from government interference.

They all know what is best for them and don't need anyone else telling them differently. The difference is that in D.C. they look at all of us as incapable of making the right choices for us.

Pay attention today, it is an important vote.

No comments: