Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Overnight

On the advice of John, my friend and the Director of the Battlestar Fanfilm I watched Overnight tonight. John told me about it in an email the other night and it just happened to be at the bargain bin of a local store so thinking it was a nice bit of synchronicity I bought it for a few bucks.

John wanted to see it with Chris and I and I can't think of a better documentary for filmmakers to see who are just starting out and I look forward to the three of us sitting down and watching this cautionary tale.

Overnight is the rags to riches to rags story of Troy Duffy, the Writer and Director of The Boondock Saints. Troy Duffy was wrote the script for the film and it caught fire and then it caught the interest of Harvey Weinstein then the owner of Miramax. Harvey bought the script for a million dollars, bought the bar that Duffy worked at as a gift and pulled strings to get Duffy's band a contract.

Now first let me say that Boondock Saints was actually a brilliant indie film and I enjoyed it very much.

However the ego of Troy Duffy killed any chance of any career he might have ever had. He is arrogant and a prick through every single frame of this documentary. Even though the doc seems to tell the story of success going to his head I tend to believe that Troy Duffy was probably just as arrogant and as big a prick when he was a broke nobody. Success had nothing to do with this guy's attitude.

For the sake of any future career I might have, you all have my personal permission to pull me off to the side and tell me I'm being a Duffy if I exhibit any of this behavior. Believe me I'll understand what you are saying and immediately straighten up.

He had a lot of the attitude that I find so repulsive of shows like Project Greenlight. The winning contestant seems to be only content when they are complaining about something not going right and causing a lot of unnecessary drama for themselves and others.

What doesn't get done is what I believe I would do and that is not leave the office until the filming commenced. Then after filming wrapped for the day I'd go back and do what needed to be done to make sure everything ran smoothly the next day. In short I'd make the most of that opportunity by being who I am and that is being a workhorse of a filmmaker while hopefully not developing a Troy Duffy sized ego.

He had it all. He actually felt that he deserved to be where he was because he got lucky and someone liked his script. He continually blamed everyone around him in the harshest of terms when things didn't go the way he wanted them to go and making it very clear that no one deserved anything but he did.

Actually my friends, if you see me acting in this manner please deck me. Remind me that I should be counting my blessings instead of being a self centered moron and that I need to work harder instead of talking louder.

Now I would like to tell you how I am dealing with my creative drought. I resorted to ordering a Creative Hypno CD. Hopefully by listening to this CD something will break lose and my creative streak will start up again and I'll be the writing machine I know I that I am deep down. That the ideas will flow like lube at a Duke Lacrosse party.

No comments: