Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Ok So There I Was

About ready to go to lunch today. I start my truck and then the key ignition locks up! I can't turn the key backwards to turn it off!!!!

So I go ahead and go to lunch and ponder my options as I run to the border.....it was close to O'Reilly's where I knew I was probably going to have to go to find the solution I had in mind. So I buy a new ignition and head back to work to try to work on solving my second problem.

How do I get a diesel engine to stop and then how do I get it started again?!?!?!

Diesels work on compression so the only way to stop them is to stop the fuel flow so I had to find the fuel pump solenoid and disconnect the wire but then how do I start it again with a locked up key that won't turn?

So I call the auto hobby shop where I work and they believe that by finding the ignition wire and jumping it from the battery it will fire up! So I take off work and head over there, get the engine stopped by disconnecting the right wire and then set about changing out the ignition.

It is a sizable process, not really labor intensive but there are a couple of tricky places that take some skill and patience. The lock ring for instance that holds everything underneath the steering wheel together. You have to use a tool to compress it down and try to get the lock ring off and even with snap ring pliers it is a tough job for such a tiny part.

So I finally get it off, find the set screw that holds in the ignition and remove it, remove the ignition itself, and put the new one in place. It took about an hour to get it apart and I kid you not, I had it back together in less than five minutes!!!! It goes back together much easier and no, I didn't have any spare parts.

So now it starts and more importantly it stops!!!!

No comments: