Thursday, October 07, 2010

Decent Starcraft Night

After the two political blogs I thought I'd lighten the mood and go with a Starcraft blog.

We played a few 3V3 matches after Abostang and I practiced defending the six pool Zerg rush. It's difficult to wall up well enough to defend against this tactic. It's essentially the fastest way to get offensive units on the battlefield before you are able to defend against it.

I walled up and walled up, put a gateway down first after a pylon, put a forge down first post pylon, didn't matter. Abostang got his zerglings through every time. The zealot couldn't finish fast enough, the photon canon couldn't finish fast enough, nothing worked fast enough to defend against him.

We did win a few 3V3 matches throughout the night. We did play against a zerg and he did rush. I thought I had my ramp sealed up pretty well but he got through the side with roaches anyway.

That's the only strategy that will work effectively, wall up early and break the initial rush. You do that and the zerg player is basically done as his economy is way behind yours. He is then wide open for any attack. His units were blown attempting an early victory and yours, if defended properly, will be stronger and you'll have more of them.

I've got to practice more at defending against this very common attack, it's hard to do but I've seen it done, I've read about it being done, I know it can be done.

Tonight I'm going to employ a diversion tactic and sacrifice a probe to buy me time. I'll start a pylon, scout my probe to the zerg base, build a pylon there and that should give my wall a chance at completing with a zealot to defend and a canon to back him up.

I would totally watch this if it were on TV with professional color and strategy commentators.

No comments: