Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Abostang

Not everyone who I am friends with will be known by everyone I write about, such is the case today. Abostang is a coworker. A single father of two who is my Starcraft 2v2 partner. We've played over two hundred games together via skype and battle.net, and probably another hundred in 3v3s.

Abo is a darn good guy. I've known him since he started to work where I work when he was nineteen. He has been the victim of low seniority and nearly got fired his first week because of an ill fated training attempt.

We identify with each other as we experience the same treatment at work. Frequently we are the work horses in our shops, while he does have a few guys he can depend upon I have me in mine. One of my main gripes lately is that his shop has been overstaffed and is underworked. A fact that really hit home yesterday as yet another new guy for his shop was given the tour.

This has created nothing but a running joke about on the job retirement for the most senior guys in the shop. I've taken numerous pictures and have considered posting them on the Demotivational site but its really only funny to me and those familiar with the situation.

Abostang is one of the good guys at work though. One of the handful I'd hang out with after hours. The others are either in one of the two fantasy football leagues I'm in or we've just become friends over the years. He's dealt with the craziness of night shift as have I. He's someone that people go to when work needs done. He's dependable and while he has gone through one of the normal burnouts at work, I've gone through about four, he'll recover and get out after his thirty years is up like me.

By then we'll be able to play Universe of Starcraft, I'm sure Blizzard will have it finished by then:)

No comments: