Sunday, January 23, 2011

Old Errol Flynn Movies

Yesterday The Date had to work pretty much the entire day. That left me free to my own devices, a place that I'm comfortable left but now a subtle change has happened. It happened long ago it's just that I've noticed it in the last few months.

A quiet house makes me think something is wrong. If I don't hear Thing 2 plucking on her violin or Thing 1 absurdly loud music I think something has happened and I must investigate.

Regardless back to my story, The Date was working all day long. I took Thing 2 to set call for the teen show. I took Thing 1 to work. I went grocery shopping and made beef stew. I told Thing 1 I will pick her up after work because I wanted to get The Date a new coat. Her heavy coat was most likely stolen recently leaving her with a jacket in the winter.

So after she got off work I picked her up and we went shopping for a new coat. Turns out the one we got her was a bit too small so we'll get another size today. We got home and gave the coat to her, she loved it though:)

Then we headed to Filmmaker Friend Chris' birthday bash. Sadly we were only able to stay about an hour or so as The Date was very tired from working all day and Thing 2 wasn't feeling well at all. So we head home and I find on TCM The Sea Hawk!

Errol Flynn in one of his finest swashbuckling roles! Action, adventure, piracy, political intrigue, the whole shebang right there in one package! After some thought on the matter I really couldn't think of many modern movies that had that in one package and made it fun. The Pirates of the Caribbean series was about as close as I could come.

Captain Blood, (his first starring role) The Sea Hawk, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Prince and the Pauper, and a few others such as Charge of the Light Brigade type cast him as the swashbuckling star. During TCM's Summer under the Stars month Errol Flynn had a day devoted to his films. Thing 2 and I watched a couple of them. She was quite enamored with him at the time.

Errol Flynn movies are now a great beacon pointing the way back to the films of yesteryear. They were made differently, the good guys always won, the bad always lost even when they had every advantage. What's happened to the swashbuckler?

No comments: