Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's A Cruel World

Princess is at the vet clinic. Her numbers are better and worse than last time. Some are improving, some not. The vet is going to try some different medicine and get her appetite back.

She's been short changed her whole life. She was adopted from the SPCA twice, the first time she was brought back because she "smelled bad". The second time was by us. A trip to the vet uncovered she had an intestinal parasite. A bit of medicine and she was perfect for us! She would by a lap kitty for me, when she felt like it:)

(As a side note, if a pet has been at the SPCA for over a year they are less likely to get adopted, meaning they are more likely to live their entire lives out at the shelter. If you are looking for a family pet, get a mature pet. They could really use the new family. Most likely no one else will give them one and they will love you just as much as a younger pet.)

She is a small kitty, very gentle. She is a great fit in our home. We are praying the new treatments work. I'm optimistic they will work.

I listened as the vet taught me how to administer the best and most effective treatment and I do that daily. She isn't going to get worse because of a lack of effort on my part. She seemed to be getting much better. She would eat plenty, drink plenty...until the other day. She took a serious turn for the worse as I recounted.

Ultimately the world is cruel. Caring for this poor sick kitty made me ponder why, with tragedy unfolding every single day for people, do I not care for them. Why did I not care for the grieving people of Tucson and not feel guilty for not caring? They were bystanders caught up in an insane person's rampage but compared to the fragile life of our sick cat they meant nothing to me.

That lead me to the train of thought about pets going to Heaven. Many theologians believe they don't, I ask why not? There is no scripture that precludes animals from an afterlife. In fact I'd argue the opposite, tell me of another way to teach someone about unconditional love, compassion, mercy, kindness. They become more than an animal to us, they lift our spirits at our worst, they love us on our bad days, and they don't care if we suck to be around. Tell me that isn't part of God's plan.

They depend upon us for food, water, shelter, and love. We depend upon them to give us so much more in return. Go ahead think about that and try to exclude it from God's plan. Did animals participate in the fall of man in the garden of Eden? Are they cursed with original sin as we are?

I expect to see beloved family members including pets in Heaven. I don't think it is unreasonable or a huge leap into heresy to believe that.

One of my favorite theologians, Dr. R.C. Sproul (brilliant man, scholar, and teacher) says, "Whenever Heaven is described, though it be highly imaginative language, it is a place where animals seem to be present. Whether these animals are newly created for the new heavens and new earth or they are the redeemed souls of our pets that have perished, we can't know for sure. All of this is sheer speculation but I'd like to think we will see our beloved pets again someday as they participate in the benefits of the redemption that Christ has achieved for the human race."

Call me callous for not caring about national tragedies right now, I could care less about them, there will always be another given enough time. My heart is elsewhere.

No comments: