Saturday, January 29, 2011

Great Day Off

I ran errands most of yesterday. Paying off odds and ends, utilities, and stocking up for this coming year. We bought a quarter beef and a quarter hog. I'd do the same if I were you, food prices are going to rise dramatically this year. Get it now while it's cheaper. I mean it, if you can afford to buy a larger quantity of meat now get it. It'll be the equivalent of four dollar a gallon gas soon and we all know how much that hurts. The cool thing, if I'm wrong then you still have cheaper meat for a long time and you prepared for the worst.

It's better to be a little paranoid and be prepared than a starving victim later.

Why you may ask is meat prices rising? Ethanol and inflation. Corn prices have risen because of the ethanol laws meaning feeding livestock is more expensive meaning it'll cost you a lot more to feed your family this year. I don't have to explain inflation to you.

For my family I believe we've easily purchased a year's worth of meat. It filled up our deep freeze and part of the refrigerator freezer. As meat is a large part of our grocery budget when we do shop it's nice to get that expense out of the way right now.

In fact I just put a roast into the crock pot for supper this evening. It's a comforting feeling knowing that the economy can get worse and we'll still get fed well.

I purchased my mom a great birthday present for this coming week. She's an avid reader so I got her a Kindle, my brother is going to get the leather case with the light, and we'll get her a gift card so she can fill it up. With twenty five dollars you could fill it with more quality classic literature than you could read in a lifetime. I'm excited about this because I try to find things that will be useful for a person for a gift. I'm not always successful but this seems a perfect fit! That makes me excited!

Yep! It's a nice feeling knowing in one day everything is either paid off for good or taken care of for a long time! I'll sleep like a baby for quite a while:)

No comments: