Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 11

Alright early this morning we rolled towards the southeast, that's where we'll get to the coast and then to our future island fortress. Roads have been jammed with traffic heading away from towns, sometimes both lanes were crowded with outbound traffic.

It took us a while to weave our way through a lot of the traffic, sometimes we had to chain up to a tangle of abandoned cars and pull them out of the way. We always stop and siphon out the tanks of any diesel truck on the road, so far fuel has been plentiful.

I guess we never thought of it. Maybe we should have been more aware of what we were dealing with but I don't think anyone could have been more aware or prepared to deal with what we saw.

We rolled into Little Rock heading southeast on I-40, got through the traffic jams and onto some clear roads in town. Thought it would be safe enough to stop for some supplies so we exited the interstate.

We saw survivors. Greg jumped down out of the passenger seat and onto the ground while I radioed back into the trailer to tell them what was happening. The survivors mobbed Greg, he didn't take a weapon with him as they were just people out on the sidewalks and roads seemingly looking over the state of their neighborhood in this quiet nook of town.

Greg held up his hand as if to greet them, one survivor saw him and sprinted to Greg, tackling him and ripping Greg's throat out. Before I saw anymore I hit first and nailed the throttle. Coal black smoke must have streamed out of the twin stacks because I was hitting gears and running over these wild people that were running to join in the grisly feast like a pack of hyenas.

I radioed the trailer and told them to hang on tight as it was going to get rough. I nailed the quarter panel of a car blocking the road and it ricocheted into three survivors, well I guess they weren't survivors they were the infected, but they were scrambling towards the truck. I hit one of the main roads and more people were milling around. A.J. was on the radio yelling at me to tell him what was happening. I ignored his cries for information as I concentrated on getting us safely out of town.

I barreled back onto the interstate and headed due east...on the westbound lane. It was easier to navigate going the wrong way down a major interstate. A few abandoned cars and trucks here and there but most of the jams were on the outskirts of town.

With the radio still chattering away I told A.J. what happened and he said as soon as I can to stop and we'll regroup and find out what happened. I'm not sure I want to tell the story again.

We got to an overpass that was pretty deserted so I stopped and radioed the trailer that it looked safe. I stopped, jumped down out of the cab and walked around to the trailer and opened the big doors. Everyone got out, if not for news than to stretch their legs and get some fresh air. I recounted exactly what happened in Little Rock. Everyone looked at me with shock and horror. I told them how fast they had moved and that Greg didn't have a chance but he thought they were ok and normal. I'm not sure but they might have blamed me for not doing something about it.

A.J. put his arm around me and said he didn't blame me, Greg should have been more careful. I guess the news reports were true though and some of the infected had become cannibals. The sickness must had probably made it all the way across the continent by now. There probably isn't a safe place around.

Dr. Khiem looked at me and asked if I was ok. He gave me a brief examination. Nathan volunteered to ride shotgun now with actual shotguns and so did Billy. I think it'd be a great idea to pop out the air vent on the top of the sleeper so someone could stand on the bed and be able to shoot any more of those packs of cannibals. A.J. agreed so that's what we did. We are now armed when we are driving.

A short time later we got back on the road again. Nathan and Billy with rifles and shotguns in the cab and A.J. and the others in the trailer. Unbeknown to me they had been planning the community with the contractor and electrician.

Hundreds of miles to go yet. How many of those those, what do we call them? Infected, cannibals, or zombies are out there yet? In the movies zombies were dead and came back, these people were infected though but if they don't resemble a zombie. I kind of wish they were dead brought back, they'd be easier to think about killing.

No comments: